Wednesday, March 28, 2018

The vision of a champion by Anson Dorrance. Quotes IV

-The winning mentality is partly optimism, but mostly it is a combination of focus, pride, competitive anger, relentlessness, hardness, fitness and courage, all of the most descriptive words for competitive athletics. This type of mentality is not about your skills or tactics. What it comes down to is intense desire. To get this winning edge, you need to build an indomitable will. This means you must be relentless; you must never give up.
-The winning mentality is not a talent. It is a choice, a decision you make to develop it.
-Ordinary effort is when you are comfortable. That's mediocrity.
-Confidence is a living, breathing thing. It changes every single day. Confidence needs to be nurtured. You should practice it just like you do every other skill, whether it's technical or tactical. Confidence takes work. I am still working hard on it every single day.
-If I had been questioning myself and my confidence while competing, I don't think I would be where I am today.
-I was not going to put pressure on myself by saying: 'I know I am playing great when I score five goals'. Instead, I told myself: 'You are going to gain more confidence every time you close down a defender, every time you win a ball, or make a great run, or set someone up' because those were things I had control over.
-There is an important quality among great soccer players. It is having a soccer sense.
-An ideal team has on each of its four lines at least  one player with a combination of soccer sense and leadership skills.
-The first five yards is in your head.
-You've got to love the ball.
-Your priority should be playing time and experience, and developing your player personality.
-If the boys don't pass you the ball, you will have to go out and get it. Make it happen.

No comments: