Sunday, October 5, 2014

Troy. Memorable quotes.

-"Men are haunted by the vastness of eternity. And so we ask ourselves:  will our actions echo across the centuries? Will strangers hear our names long after we're gone and wonder who we were, how bravely we fought, how fiercely we loved?

-"Why did you choose this life?
-What life?
-To be a great warrior.
-I chose nothing. I was born, and this is what I am.
-And you? Why did you choose to love a god? I think you'll find the romance one-sided.
-Do you enjoy provoking me?
-You've dedicated your life to the gods... Zeus, god of thunder. Athena, goddess of wisdom. You serve them.
-Yes, of course.
-And Ares, God of war, who blankets his bed with the skin of men he's killed?
-All the gods are to be feared and respected.
-I'll tell you a secret... something they don't tell you in your temple. The gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal. Because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.
-I thought you were a dumb brute. I could have forgiven a dumb brute.

-Do it. Nothing is easier.
-Aren't you afraid?
-Everyone dies. Today or fifty years from now. What does it matter?
Do it.
-You'll kill more men if I don't kill you.
-Many.

-Who are you?
-I have endured what no one on earth has endured before. I kissed the hands of the man who killed my son.
-Priam?
-How did you get in here?
-I know my own country better than the Greeks, I think.
-You are a brave man. I could have your head on a spit in the blink of an eye.
-Do you really think death frightens me now? I watched my eldest son die... watched you drag his body behind your chariot. Give him back to me. He deserves the honor of a proper burial. You know that. Give him to me.
-He killed my cousin.
-He thought he was you.
How many cousins have you killed?
How many sons and fathers and brothers and husbands?
How many, brave Achilles?
I knew your father. He died before his time. But he was lucky not to live long enough to see his son fall. You have taken everything from me. My eldest son, heir to my throne... defender of my kingdom
I cannot change what happened. It is the will of the gods. But give me this small mercy. I loved my boy from the moment he opened his eyes till the moment you closed them. Let me wash his body. Let me say the prayers. Let me place two coins on his eyes for the boatman.
-If I let you walk out of here... if I let you take him... it doesn't change anything. You're still my enemy in the morning.
-You're still my enemy tonight. But even enemies can show respect.
-I admire your courage. Meet me outside in a moment.
-We'll meet again soon, brother. (To Hector)
-Your son was the best ever I fought.


-Briseis? I thought you were dead...
-You are free. If I hurt you, it's not what I wanted. Go.
No one will stop you. You have my word.


-Paris, no!
No!
Stop, please!
Paris, don't!
-It's all right. It's all right. You gave me peace in a lifetime of war.
-Briseis, come.
-Go. You must.
-No.
-Troy is falling. Go.
-It's all right. Go.

No comments: