Friday, September 29, 2017

Wooden. Quotes V

-Don't compare yourself to somebody else, especially materially.
-We get stronger when we test ourselves.
-The final score is not the final score.
-It is better to travel hopefully that arrive. R. L. Stevenson.
-In great attempt it is glorious even to fail.
-There is no area of basketball in which I am a genius. None. Tactically and strategically I am just average, and this is not offering false modesty. We won championships because I was above average  in analyzing players, getting them to fill roles as part of a team, paying attention to fundamentals and details, and working well with others.
-I loved all my players. I did not like them all, but I did love them all.
-The privilege of practicing had been taken away. It was the worst punishment of all: Gentlemen, practice is over.
-We were better off letting our opponents try to figure us out than spending time trying to figure them out. We focused on preparing for any eventuality rather than a particular style of play from a particular team.
-I never wanted to call the first time out during a game.
-There is very little difference in technical knowledge about the game of basketball among most experienced coaches. However, there is a vast difference between leaders in their ability to teach and to motivate those under their supervision.
-I wanted my players to display style and class in both victory and defeat.
-I used the bench to teach.

No comments: