Friday, November 29, 2019

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. Quotes VII

-You seek too much that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.
-Wisdom is not communicable.
-In every truth the opposite is equally true.
-Everything that is thought and expressed in words is one-sided. The world itself, being in and around  us is never one-sided.
-Time is not real.
-The potential Buddha already exists in the sinner.
-The world is not imperfect or slowly evolving along a long path to perfection. No, it is perfect at every moment.
-I learned through my body and soul that it was necessary for me to sin, that I needed lust, that I had to strive for property and experience nausea and the depths of despair in order to learn not to resist them, in order to learn to love the world, and not longer compare it with some kind of desired imaginary world, some imaginary vision of perfection, but to leave as it is, to love it and be glad to belong to it.
-What is of value and wisdom to one man seems nonsense to another.
-One cannot love words.
-Love is the most important thing in the world.
-My words about love are in apparent contradiction to the teachings of Gotama. That is just why I distrust words so much.
-We are now old men. We may never see each other again in this life. I can see my dear friend, that you have found peace.
-Govinda bowed low. Uncontrollable tears trickled down his old face. He was overwhelmed by a feeling of great love, of the most humble veneration. He bowed low, right down to the ground, in front of the man sitting there motionless, whose smile reminded him of everything that he had ever loved in his life, of everything that had ever been of value and holy in his life.

No comments: