Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Knight. My story. By Bob Knight. Quotes IV

-Of all the  great things my mom did for me, nothing was better than making me be a reader.
-You don't have to score to be a good basketball player.
-Let the bench guys play whenever you can.
-I have changed starting lineups maybe more  than any coach in basketball usually as a reward for a kid for what he did in practice or for his play in a game.
-How gracious great veteran coaches could be.
-I don't want to take anything away from the other team's accomplishment, and I don't want our team grasping at excuses.
-A lot of coaches know X's and O's but don't see things well.
-The first thing you have to have in coaching or anything else is a confidence in your ability to do the job.
-I felt that utilizing deception and being unpredictable, unrecognizable, and difficult to scout were instrumental in offensive success. I have always wanted the cutter to have options. So if the defense does one thing, the cutter can do another thing. It is not something that just goes one, two, three, four. In basketball, if you run a set play, a smart defense doesn't have to react to what you are doing, they can do something prior to your move, because they know the movement as well as the offense does.
-Princeton played with keys: if the passer went inside, that was one thing; if he cut to the bucket, it was another thing. I tried to incorporate that in Indiana but almost exclusively on reading the defense and the position of the ball.
-Spacing is one of the two keys to utilization of the court in offensive play. The second is floor balance, keeping players in positions that maintain an ability to attack both sides of the floor.
-We spent a lot of October practicing four on four and five on five without allowing a dribble.
-The only obligation you have to your players is that they know your are starting the best lineup you have. 

No comments: