Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Knight. My story. By Bob Knight. Quotes

-I was told by Brand in May that I could stay on as a coach under what the president called 'zero tolerance'. Obviously, I should have quit right there.
-But quitting is a hard thing for me to do, and it became all the harder because I let myself get soft. I was just too comfortable in the life I had created for myself in a town that had been special to me.
-My thoughts on coaching came from my own studying and experimenting, and from discussions with coaches and phone calls I made over the years in search of answers and ideas about basketball.
-The first time I really got to know Coach Lapchick was a significant moment in my coaching career. I asked him if I could sit down and talk with him sometime. He game me his home address, which I have never forgotten: 3 Wendover Lane in Yorkers.
-My cornerstones:
1. If you worry whether people like you or not, you can never make tough decisions correctly.
2. The very first thing you had to be was a teacher, and you had to teach kids how to play basketball.
3. Make sure your best players are in their absolute best roles. Then use supplementary players in just that, supplementary roles.
4. An appreciation of basketball of something never to be mastered but always, every day of every year, to be studied with an unflagging zeal for answers and a duty to pass them on.
5. An unyielding, untiring passion for teaching kids to understand the game of basketball and carry this understanding and sense of commitment into all walks of life.
-Playing smart is a function of positioning, of placement, of recognition.

No comments: