Thursday, October 26, 2017

Knight. My story. By Bob Knight. Quotes VII

-I don't think any coach in history has saved more time-outs than I have, in the interest of making my team more self-reliant.
-I've always had an ass-to-the-brain theory: when a player's ass gets put on the bench, a message goes straight from the ass to the brain saying: get me off of here.
-I did not want to negotiate and hassle: tell me the highest you can go, and let me make a decision.
-We met every morning and every night to discuss players: who had played well, who hadn't, and who we should look at and keep. (Olympics 84)
-If you don't think you are the best prepared for a basketball game you have ever been, I want you to tell me about it, because we have to do something to make sure that you are.
-I took a picture of his gold medal and I gave each of them a 3x5 and a 8x10 photograph, one for their pockets and another to be put above their beds.
-You are going to be the leader on this team, you are the best player, so I will expect more from you and demand more from you. But I will probably at times get on you when you don't deserve it. I am simply giving everybody else a message.
-Whenever I have had guys who could score, they have scored. And I have wanted the other guys on my teams to understand part of their job was to make that happen.
-There were a lot of times that night when I felt tears welling up and I was genuinely close to letting them go, certainly when our kids were standing up there on he medal stand, wearing their gold medals, while the national anthem played and the American flag went up in their honor.
-The possibility of losing is what makes winning mean something.
-I had gotten tired of wearing a good dress shirt, tie and coat. Who the hell were you fooling? I have worn a golf shirt and a sweater ever since.

No comments: