Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Knight. My story. Quotes XIV

-I love to coach and I love its human involvements.
-The last thing I expected was an orchestrated attempt to keep me from getting any job.
-If presidents anywhere truly want to clean up academics, they could do it with one simple rule: you tie the number of scholarships you can give to the number of graduates you have.
-I am Coach Knight or Mr. Knight to you. You should remember that the next time you are talking to an older person.
-The tactics each time were exactly the same: they fired, they fell back, they went to Plan B, character assassination. They did me a favor. They did what I could not bring myself to do. They got me out of there.
-When that meeting ended, I met with my coaches and told them I had no idea what Indiana would do with their contracts, but if they wound up out of a job without a settlement, not to worry, I would pay their salaries out of my own pocket and take all of them with me whenever and wherever I got a new job.
-I thought what a shame it was to be fired by people who were totally out of touch with what those kids, the heart of the university, represented.
-I read the affection of that turnout as an indication that they knew our players were always students, just like they were... that our players had to work like hell, we demanded a lot of them, but they also went to class, just like each of them did... and that they enjoyed going to basketball games, watching our kids play and rooting from them. If that was my last view and my last memory of Indiana University, it was one that will stay in my mind as long as I live.
-Brand limited full professors to two percent increases at the time athletic department personnel were getting a three and a half percent increase and key figures in my firing, Clapacs and Frapwell for two, were getting twenty five percent raises, about forty thousand dollars each. I have a feeling he did not mention any of those things in his Washington speech.
-He doesn't think he is ever wrong. I know I have been wrong many times, dozens of times. We are talking about twenty nine years. And I have acknowledged a temper problem that I have to work harder to corral. Balance those off against the things I have done right. It's not even close.
-I used to test myself:
How well do I get along with kids who player for me?
How well do I get along with coaches who have coached form me?
How well do I get along with opposing coaches?
How well do I get along with high school coaches?
How well did I get along with IU fans?
How well have I gotten along really with basketball officials?
With all of those groups, I would say I have gotten along good to great. Who have not I gotten along with? The press.

No comments: