Friday, November 10, 2017

Knight. My story. By Bob Knight. Quotes VIII

-You and I have sixty one seconds of international basketball left and then we are done with it.
-During a time out at one of our pre-Olympics games with the pros, I asked our players: 'hey, what the hell does Jordan do to you in practice when you have to play him one on one? Somebody tell me what it's like'
One of them said: 'Well, it's hard. It's tough. He tear us up'
Then, I said: 'do you think there is any chance we could see that he gets the ball a little bit tonight, because he is going to do the same thing to these guys that he does to you'.
-There were a lot of times that night when I felt tears welling up and I was genuinely close to letting them go, certainly when our kids were standing up there on the medal stand, wearing their gold medals, while the national anthem played and the American flag went up in their honor.
-The possibility of losing is what makes winning mean something.
-When Steve Raid was at the free-throw line to shoot the technical for Purdue, I wheeled around, picked up a plastic chair, and sent it scooting across the court.
-I made one of my biggest mistakes: I agreed to open our Indiana basketball program, from the start of practice in fall 1985 to our last game, to John Feinstein of the Washington Post, for a book he would write. He had an incredible access to everything. And, with my full knowledge, he got unbelievable help from my assistant coaches, mainly Royce Waltmana and Kohn Smith. Feinstein made a ton of money out of the thing and never once offered to endow a scholarship or do anythingat all for Royce and Kohn, who were putting kids through college on assistant coaches' salaries. He did not owe me a cent. I didn't want anything from him at all, I had made that plain. But when profits came in for him way beyond any possible expectations, he sure as hell could have done something on his own to help those guys.
-I don't think you're ever more sorry or disappointed than when a marriage doesn't work out. My wife, Nancy and I did get a divorce. I blame myself for it far more than her because I spent so much time trying to develop a career  in coaching.

No comments: