Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Knight. My story. Quotes XV

-When I see in print something that has happened where I've been involved that is so different from what actually happened, how can I ever believe what's on the front page, either?
-They see the right to criticize as a one way street. The press can attack managers, coaches, players, teams, or presidents, but boy, if any of those people who are under attack dare to fire back, the whole profession is offended.
-Smitty's was a down-home place. No money was wasted on decor. Joe Kleine of our Olympic team reminded me just last fall of the time I told the team to get dressed up, I was taking them to a very nice restaurant and I didn't want them to be embarrassed. 'We entered this little diner through the kitchen with everyone laughing at us'. Joe said, 'and we proceeded to have a great time with the bunch of locals there'. that of course, was Smitty's.
-New Yorkers like David Halbersam or Dick Schaap would come into town and want to go to lunch, guys used to going to someplace expensive and elegant. With me they would get Smitty's, Rosie's, or the Marsh grocery deli. They would always want to pick up the tab, but that sometimes got complicated. Halberstam picked up the bill once, looked at it, and said: 'I can't turn this in. They would laugh at me'. The two of us had eaten for something like 5.45$.
But those places were perfect for me: cooks and employees and daily customers who kept me up on what was going on in their lives and otherwise left me and anyone with me pretty much alone, just part of their crown. I have already found some of the same kind of places in Lubbock.
-From a basketball standpoint, he was very average player with one outstanding quality, passing , understanding where people were.
-I used to ask players who they played with who understood the game best.
-Patrick Knight is my all time favorite Indiana player.

No comments: