Wednesday, March 27, 2019

With love and prayers by F. Jarvis. Quotes IV

-But I was wrong. If anything I am less happy because I now realize that in the future when I get something I think I want, like a good job, that will not make me happy either.
-There is nothing wrong with wanting to get into a good college. But, far more, I hope you know why you want to do that in terms of a much larger vision for your life. Getting into college is a good short-term goal, but it is not an ultimate vision for life.
-Any worthy long-term vision must take life's most basic realities into account. Nothing more certain, about our lives than our own deaths. How desperately we try to avoid considering death!
-I never thought about dying. We we are all going to die. If you want a great vision for your life, you need to begin by dealing with that single most certain reality.
-Happiness in life comes from a worthy vision of all of life, in all its reality including the inevitability of our own death. Try to imagine yourself at your own funeral. What is it that you want people to say about you? That's the question you have to answer if you want to find a long-range vision for your life. What do you want people to say about you when you are dead?
-Who we want to be?
-It has been said that the saddest words in any language are: it's too late. For many people my age, it is almost too late. They find themselves trapped. You have the greatest treasure of all on your side: time.
-Your vision of who you want to be will become deeper and richer and wiser as you mature. But the very fact that right now you step aside from the day to day concerns and pressures and ask the ultimate questions will prevent you from just going along in life. The very fact that you try now to find a vision that will encompass all the years you will be here on earth will help prevent you from drifting through life, mistaking short-term goals for long-term visions.

No comments: