Wednesday, March 27, 2019

With love and prayers by F. Jarvis. Quotes V

-Approach day by day life affirming the possibility of happiness in all its events.
-If happiness requires a worthy long-term vision and an affirmative attitude  that happiness is a possibility in life's day to day events, it also, I believe, requires a third and final ingredient. Happiness almost always has something to do with others.
-The happiest person I know is a monk. His life is, in a way, a living heaven. What is your secret? I asked him. His reply? Every day, in every encounter with every person, he said, I tell myself, I could die at any moment. This person I am speaking to now may be the last person I ever speak to. I need to love him, to care about him, more than any other person I've ever met.
-It's too late.
For you it is not too late. I pray that you will not just go along, that you will not confuse short-range objectives with a lifetime vision. Be tough enough to contemplate the prospect of your own death, your own temporariness, and ask yourself: Who do I want to be? Seek  the great vision. What do I want to accomplish before I die? Each one of our lives is passing away. Grasp each moment as if it were your last: approach each moment thinking of it in terms of its possibilities. Finally, remember that you can be happy only if you are able to break out of your shell, to burst the prison of self-envelopment. Happiness comes most of all from caring more about others than you care about yourself.
-If you want to be happy, you begin by accepting reality, and the reality is that you don't deserve anything in life. Life doesn't owe you a damned thing; and you don't always get what you want.
-Face reality, expect trouble, and work constructively to deal with whatever life dishes out to you. Then, instead of being a victim, you will be the captain of your own destiny in thepursuit of happiness: expecting obstacles and roadblocks along the way, willing to seek the help of God and man, looking always ahead, with hope and cheerfulness, for new opportunities.

No comments: