Tuesday, December 18, 2018

The autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin. Quotes III

-I had by no means improv'd my fortune; but I had picked up some very ingenious acquaintance, whose conversation was of great advantage to me; and I had read considerably.
-I objected my want of money.
-My mind having been much more improv'd by reading.
-It may be well to let you know the then state of my mind with regard to my principles and morals, that you may see how far those influenc'd the future events of my life.
-I grew convinc'd that truth, sincerity and integrity in dealings between man and man were of the utmost importance to the felicity of life.
-We met on Friday evenings. The rules that I drew up required that every member, in his turn, should produce one or more queries on any point of Morals, Politics, or Natural Philosophy, to be discuss'd by the company.
-Our debates were to be under the direction of a president, and to be conducted in the sincere spirit of inquiry after truth, without fondness for dispute, or desire of victory; and to prevent warmth, all expressions of postiveness in opinions, or direct contradiction, were after some time made contraband, and prohibited under small pecuniary penalties.
-Our friendship continued without interruption to his death, upward of forty years; and the club continued almost as long, and was the best school of philosophy, morality, and politics that then existed in the province.

No comments: