Sunday, December 23, 2018

The autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin. Quotes VI

-This library afforded me the means of improvement by constant study, for which I set apart an hour or two each day.
-Reading was the only amusement I allowed myself. I spent no time in taverns, games, or frolicks of any kind; and my industry in my business continued as indefatigable as it was necessary.
-My original habits of frugality continuing.
-I never was without some religious principles; and being to be found in all the religions we had in our country, I respected them all, though with different degrees of respect, as I found them more or less mixed with other articles, which, without any tendency to inspire, promote, or confirm morality, served principallly to divide us, and make us unfriendly to one another.
-It was about this time I conceived the bold and arduous project of arriving at moral perfection. I wished to live without committing any fault at any time.
-I concluded at length, that the mere speculative conviction that it was our interest to be completely virtuous, was not sufficient to prevent our slipping; and that the contrary habits must be broken, and good ones acquired and established, before we can have any dependence on a steady, uniform rectitude of conduct.
-The 13 virtues:
1. Temperance.
2. Silence.
3. Order.
4. Resolution.
5. Frugality.
6. Industry.
7. Sincerity.
8. Justice.
9. Moderation.
10. Cleanliness.
11.Tranquility.
12. Chastity.
13. Humility.

No comments: