Tuesday, December 18, 2018

The autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin. Quotes II

-On our way, a drunken Dutchman, who was a passenger too, fell overboard; when he was sinking, I reached through the water to his shock pate, and drew him up, so that we got him in again.
-My whole stock of cash consisted of a Dutch dollar, and about a shilling in copper. The latter I gave the people of the boat for my passage, who at first refus'd it, on account of my rowing; but I insisted on their taking it. A man being sometimes more generous when he has but a little money than when he has plenty, perhaps thro' fear of being thought to have but little.
-I went for a draught of the river water; and being filled with one of my rolls, gave the other two to a woman and her child that came down the river in the boat with us, and were waiting to go farther.
-I began now to have some acquaintance among the young people of the town, that were lovers of reading, with whom I spent my evenings very pleasantly; and gaining money by my industry and frugality.
-An incident happened that sent me back again much sooner than I had intended.
-The governor gave me an ample letter, saying many flattering things of me to my father, and strongly recommending the project of my setting up at Philadelphia as a thing that must make my fortune.
-By steady industry and a prudent parsimony I might save enough by the time I was one and twenty to set me up.
-This was the second governor who had done me the honor to take notice of me; which, to a poor boy like me, was very pleasing.
-The breaking into this money of Vernon's was one of the first great errata of my life.
-Had four or five shillings to pay out of his wages every Saturday night for that muddling liquor; and expense I was free from. And thus these poor devils keep themselves always under.
-I propos'd some reasonable alterations in their chappel laws.

No comments: