Wednesday, December 19, 2018

The autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin. Quotes IV

-For the industry of that Franklin, says he, is superior to anything I ever saw of the kind; I see him at him still at work when I go home from club, and he is at work again before his neighbors are out of bed.
-You may find friends to assist you. If you will take the debts of the company upon you; return to my father the hundred pound he has advanced; pay my little personal debts, and give me thirty pounds and a new saddle, I will relinquish the partnership, and leave the whole in your hands. I agreed to this proposal.
-I took care not only to be in reality industrious and frugal, but to avoid all appearances to the contrary. I dressed plainly; I was seen at no places of idle diversion. I never went out a fishing or shooting; a book, indeed, sometimes debauched me from my work, but that was seldom, snug, and gave no scandal; and, to show that I was not above my business, I sometimes brought home the paper I purchased at the stores through the streets on a wheelbarrow.
-I was not to expect money with a wife, unless with such a one as I should not otherwise think agreeable.

No comments: